Sunday, 26 July 2009

Express progress/changes

Well after putting 5000km to the Express motor I had some problems, sometimes blue smoke from it ( we properly all know that it means that it burns oil in the cylinders) but there was no real rhytm in it, so kept on driving until I felt a lack of power.I wasn´t sure if it was me or my paranoia taking over but I decided to pull the motor out for an inspection.
When I got the heads of I could see there was some oil over the piston on cylinder number 2, but there was no scrathces in the cylinder or broken rings on the piston.
I decided that the cylinders had done their duty for now, afterall they had also spend around 30.000km with a Judson breathing down their neck.
So i put a NOS set on that I had lying.
But now the motor was out it was time for some other changes. I´ve had some problems with starting when it was hot, and one day I meassured the carbs to be 58 celcius that explained the starting issues, all that heat meant that the carbs would overflod.
But the help was near! Kaj from the Sechs Volt garage in Norway and fellow Express owner send me some bakelit plates that only needed a little work to be perfect fit between the manifolds and carbs (the Express kits originally came with plates like these to prevent the heat from ricing to the carbs)
New problem came after they were mounted it had changed the hight of the carbs with 1cm, meaning I had to modify the linkage.
Further more I took my sump of to see if it ran to hot without it.
Now some 700km later it runs like a charm, and the oil haven´t been over 95 degrees celcius and at that point I was going 115km/t on the highway.

No comments: